How to celebrate the Summer Solstice
On June 21st at 6:01 A.M. the Sun will be directly overhead the Tropic of Cancer at 23.5° north latitude. You know what that means! Take your flower crowns out because Summer Solstice is here!
Summer Solstice is the first day of Summer (because the north pole is at its maximum tilt towards the sun) and also the longest day of the year. Humans have been tracking the suns journey across the skies over many millennia. The prehistoric people of what is now England, built Stonehenge to track the Sun…and the Egyptians, not only worshipped a sun god "Ra", but perfectly aligned the Sphinx in the middle of the two great pyramids where the light of the summer solstice sun would coming shining right through. This is no coincidence. It’s in our DNA to worship and honor the sun. We celebrate and honor the light she brings into our lives, because without her, Earth would be frozen and barren.
For the magical folk of the world, Summer Solstice is a time of great celebration and renewal. It’s time to shed old skin and move onward. Whatever you’ve been avoiding or fearful of stops now. You either get with it and change or stay stuck in the same old patterns and behaviors that are doing you harm. It’s your choice, but I’ll tell you this – if you’re ready to move forward Summer Solstice is the time to do it. The Sun will guide you and remind you to tap into your childlike spirit. If you’re not ready to grow you better watch out because flowers will be a bloom all around and you might get left behind. Friends and family will spread their winds and try new things and wander off into new adventures. Let them. We all circle back in due time. Where we circle back to is another story, for another day.
5 ways to celebrate the Summer Solstice
- Get up early and rise as one with the Sun. Bring your smudge kit, personal crystal, and summer crystals for opening up that Solar Plexus. As the sun rises, soak in her light and set your intentions for the summer and meditate on aligning and reenergizing your chakras.
- Create a Summer Solstice Grid using the Tripod of Life grid with pyrite as your focus stone, garnet as your way stones and yellow fluorite as your desire stones. Place in the northern most corner of your home and leave there for the summer. Or you can do this outside in conjunction with a meditation dedication.
- Make a dedication to the Sun at your altar. Make sure to use crystals that embrace and support transitions like Labradorite and crystals that ground you like Obsidian. Place native flowers and fruits from your region as offerings. Pull a card from your tarot deck for reflection, light 8 candles and speak your well wishes to the Sun into the wind.
- Be one with nature. Go to the park and walk a trail, sit by a river, dig your hands into the dirt. Simply be mindful of the changes.
- Grab some friends, wine and have a dance party! #brujagang
How to choose the right crystals for Summer Solstice
Yellow, gold and orange crystals and stones will guide you this Summer.
- Yellow represents the coming of the sun and the beginning of adventure, radiating optimism and a zest for life. Reach for citrine, topaz, or beryl to attract light into your daily life.
- Gold is the color of power, riches and magic! Put your silver jewelry away and bring out your gold pieces for an extra boost of energy.
- Towards the end of Summer, you’ll want to use orange colored crystals to guide you through the change in seasons pulling you closer to family, friendships, and community.